Portes du Soleil – Just over 1 hour from Geneva airport, with fantastic transport links making this area so easily accessible.
One of its leading benefits is that it only just over 1 hour away from Geneva airport. At Morzine Immobilier we concentrate on the French towns/villages around Morzine and Les Gets. We believe by concentrating on these areas we are able to give you unparalleled advice.
We have listed each of the towns we deal with separately for a more detail specific overview of their unique attributes and advantages. However all benefit from being on the doorstep of the entire area called the Porte du Soleil. The following is a brief overview of the entire area:-
The Portes du Soleil area has over 650km of marked piste with plenty of off piste skiing too. Download the ski map to get an overview of the entire area.
- 650km of piste – largest ski area in the world, all under one pass
- 210 lifts
- 10 snow parks
- Nearly 700 snow canons ensuring the route back to town is open
- 90 slope side restaurants
And if skiing/snowboarding is not your main concern then you can try the abundance of other sports, such as, Ice skating, cross country skiing, snow shoeing, ice diving, ice climbing, paragliding, dog sleigh rides or just relaxing sipping a “vin chaud” watching all the activity.
Our trails map shows how the area looks in the summer, so you can easily plan your activities.
- One of Europe’s leading Mountain Bike destinations
- 600km of Mountain Bike trails with dedicated bike areas
- 5 bike parks
- 800km of walking trails
- 10 Alpine lakes
- 2 Golf courses – Les Gets (18 hole) & Avoriaz (9 hole)
- Fantasticable (zip wire over two valleys) for the more adrenalin junkies.
- Fabulous road bike routes with the Tour de France regularly coming through Morzine to tackle the mighty “Joux Plan”
- Children’s adventure parks, horse riding, paragliding, climbing, kayaking, white water rafting, fishing, swimming and many other activities
- Currently under construction is a new waterpark at Avoriaz described as “the most innovative mountain waterpark facility with a natural tropical vegetation atmosphere”. (see news articles for more details)
- One of the other major attributes for the area is that Lake Geneva is only 30 minutes away. This opens up a whole new area on your doorstep in which to explore. Whether it’s
- Huge diversity of watersports offered on the Lake
- Swimming in one of the outdoor pool complexes
- Games on the beach at Excenevex
- Wandering the historic cobbled streets of Yvoire with its shops and waterfront restaurants
- Relaxing at one of the spa’s in Evian or Thonon
- Trying your luck at the Casino in Evian
There are a number of pre schools (primary schools and middle schools for ages 3 – 11) in all the major towns (Les Gets, Morzine, Chatel, St Jean d’Aulps,) The main secondary school (11-17) is in St Jean d’Aulps. There are further schools in Thonon, which at an average of 35 minutes away is the nearest commercial centre. There are many School buses which serve the area taking/collecting children from the entire area to St Jean D’Aulps. The majority of people that have relocated here from the UK believe that the French schooling is exemplary. College hours are from 8am to 4pm with Wednesdays dedicated to Sports.
Morzine is also home to an excellent French School. If would like to learn french with fun and interactive french courses, get in touch with the friendly team at Alpine French School.
Travelling to Morzine and the surrounding area could not be easier. Geneva airport is only 1 hour away by car.
If you are without a car there are a number of transfer companies which operate a taxi service to and from the airport. With more and more companies setting up this has become a very cost effective way of travelling.
There is a bus service available, however it generally takes longer and is more expensive than the transfer companies that operate.
Once here, there is a bus service which serves the local area. Within Morzine the bus service is free to and from the Cable cars servicing the mountain. From the neighbouring towns/villages there is a very reliable bus service called the Balad D’Aulps which serves Morzine, Les Gets, Montriond, Essert Rommand, St Jean D’Aulps, Bas Thex and Le Biot. It is also exceedingly reasonable at €1 per trip.
There are also a lot of local private taxi firms which will provide you with a service once in the area.
Start your property search in Portes du Soleil
Interested in buying properties in the Portes du Soleil area? We have a great selection of properties to buy and properties to rent.
If you would prefer to speak to us about your full property requirements, then please call us on +33 (0)4 50 79 13 09. We are the only French Agency in the area which offers Qualified Property Professionals from both France – Master Droit Immobilier et Urbanisme and UK – Chartered Surveyor, Royal Institute of Chartered Surveyors (RICS).